News

Knife, Syringe Among Photos Released In Casey Case

» Click here for syringe pics «

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — Prosecutors released pictures, documents and video Tuesday in the case against Casey Anthony, including WFTV video (watch our report about it) that investigators believe links the rare type of duct tape found over Caylee's face to the Anthony family.

EVIDENCE PHOTOS RELEASED 2/16/10 » Knife, Duct Tape | Car Seat » Syringe, Gatorade Bottle, Substances » Baby Doll | Steering Wheel Cover » Alternate Light Source | Miscellaneous Pics » Still Image From WFTV Video Of Tape

LEGAL ANALYSIS: Read Report | Watch Sheaffer Interview VIDEO REPORT: Photos Released In Casey Case

The CDs released Tuesday morning include the evidence WFTV discovered and prosecutors say helps link Casey to the murder weapon. Eyewitness News first took video of a piece of Henkel brand duct tape on a Caylee poster the Anthonys' put up shortly after Casey's arrest and the revelation that Caylee was missing (view still image from video | video); it's the same rare type of tape that was found over Caylee's nose and mouth.

Casey021610ductknife-06 Casey021610ductknife-06 » Click here for knife pics « The newly-released discovery also contains photos of evidence found inside Casey Anthony's car, including a knife. The photos show highly-magnified views of the knife and threads that appear to be stuck to the serrated edge.

That knife might have been used to cut the three pieces of that same brand of tape found layered over Caylee's nose and mouth. Prosecutors said in court last year those three pieces of tape killed Caylee.

The photos are not accompanied by documents to show whether the threads found on the knife's edge match the threads from the rare duct tape found over Caylee's face and in the Anthonys' home.

"The criminal evidence comes to us in little pieces, not giant pieces, and that's why the trial is going to be a trial of duration," WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said (watch full analysis).

Casey021610syringeplus-27 Casey021610syringeplus-27 » Click here for syringe pics « The photographs show the minute detail of the work investigators did to try to find out what happened to Caylee by putting evidence in Casey's car under the microscope and under what are called "alternate light sources."

The photographs show how the carpeting in Casey's trunk was removed and how the special alternate light sources were directed at several pieces of the carpeting. The laser lights can detect bodily fluids, such as blood. The areas that glow would get investigators' attention for further testing to confirm what's there and maybe who it's from using DNA testing.

Small pieces of the trunk's carpet were cut for testing, as well as small pieces of the backing on the carpet, even shreds of the fibers from the carpeting.

So far, 12,419 pages of documents in the case have been released.

SHEAFFER: EVIDENCE SUGGESTS ONLY CASEY AS SUSPECT

New photos and documents that came out in the Casey Anthony case Tuesday just add to the more than 12,000 pages of evidence already released. But WFTV legal expert Bill Sheaffer says the mountain of evidence does not suggest any suspect other than Casey.

Eyewitness News was in court when the defense claimed they had proof that someone else killed Caylee. So, where is that proof? In a word, nowhere.

The defense was supposed to produce it to prosecutors two weeks ago. Nothing in the 12,419 pages of evidence released so far, including the newly-released photos of laser testing for body fluids on the carpeting in Casey Anthony's trunk and evidence found by WFTV of more of the rare duct tape connected to the Anthonys that matches up to the tape found over Caylee's nose and mouth, shows anyone but Casey was involved.

"It is certainly consistent with the state's theory of the case, reinforces the state's theory of the case and inconsistent with what we're hearing from the defense that it could've been someone else involved with this crime," Sheaffer told Eyewitness News Tuesday.

Six months ago, the defense said it had substantial evidence that someone else put Caylee's body in the woods after Casey was locked up on no bond. The judge's deadline for the defense to produce that evidence was two weeks ago.

It never happened, but the defense is still trying to get documents from EquuSearch volunteers and trying to convince prosecutors to focus on former meter reader Roy Kronk, who found Caylee's remains in the woods and says he first saw them there months earlier.

"The time has come to produce it. They haven't been able to, so what do they do? They go out and keep fishing and hope like heck they catch that fish," Sheaffer said.

Now, prosecutors might have new evidence against Casey. Investigators are looking into it and prosecutors are asking for a hearing with the judge so they can keep it a secret even from the defense until they sort it all out.

CASEY'S SOLITARY JAIL LIFE

Casey Anthony continues to lead a very, very solitary life in jail. She did visit with a probation officer two weeks ago and has regular meetings with attorneys, but during all of last year, and this year so far, Casey hasn't had any personal visits or made any phone calls.

Casey's parents claimed they avoid visits, to prevent any videotaped conversations from going public. But, at Christmas, Casey's father did give her a $100 check.

CONSULTANT LEAVES CASEY'S DEFENSE TEAM

Another member of Casey's powerhouse defense team is calling it quits. Marti Mackenzie resigned as the media relations consultant in Casey's case Tuesday morning, but she didn't say why she was leaving.

"Effective today, I will no longer be a media liaison for the Casey Anthony defense team. All media inquiries about the Casey Anthony case can be directed to Liz Brown, at DePaul University College of Law Legal Clinic," Mackenzie wrote in the emailed released.

Mackenzie is the second member of Casey's team to step down from the case in past three days. Sunday, Jose Baez announced attorney Todd Macaluso had entered the alternative disciplinary program with the California bar and will not be able to practice law in the meantime.

ATTORNEY LEAVING CASEY'S DEFENSE TEAM

Eyewitness News has learned one of Casey Anthony's attorneys is leaving the case. Todd Macaluso joined the defense team to help Casey's attorneys cross examine expert witnesses.

He notified Casey Anthony last week that he would no longer be able to represent her due to current issues with the California State Bar. Macaluso is under investigation for misappropriating client funds and misusing a client's trust account.

VIDEO REPORT: Lawyer Leaves Casey Anthony's Team

He joined Casey's defense team in March 2009. Eyewitness News asked Macaluso about his issues in California at that time, and he said "It is pending, and it will be resolved."

Casey's lead attorney, Jose Baez told Eyewitness News on Sunday night that Macaluso has entered the alternative disciplinary program with the California Bar, and wouldn't be able to practice law at this time.

WFTV Legal Analyst Bill Sheaffer says Macaluso has spent most of the past year, dealing with his problems in California. "He does not appear to have played such an integral part in the defense up the this point, that it should rise to the point of a devastating loss to the defense," said Sheaffer.

Macaluso sent out a statement on Sunday night, saying "I, like Casey, know how difficult it is to lose a family member. While I regret not being able to proceed in her case as her attorney, I know she is in good hands with her current defense team."

Jose Baez released this statement: "The entire defense team is grateful for his hard work on this case and wishes him well in all of his future endeavors." Baez told Eyewitness News he will be looking for another attorney to take over Macaluso's duties.

CASEY'S DEFENSE WANTS PRIVATE MEETING DENIED

Casey Anthony's defense team filed a motion Friday asking a judge to deny the prosecutions request for a private meeting.

Casey's attorney's argued that, because their request for a private meeting with the judge was denied last year, the prosecution shouldn't be allowed either.

DOCUMENT: Motion To Block Request

Eyewitness News first reported when state prosecutors filed a motion last week asking for permission to hold back evidence from the defense.

According to a notice filed in court Friday, prosecutors will question the ex-wife of the Orange County meter reader who found Caylee's remains. Casey's defense team says Jill Kerley's testimony will prove her ex-husband, Roy Kronk, should be a suspect in Caylee's murder. She claims Kronk bound her with duct tape while they were married.

Prosecutors will question Kerley under oath via Skype on February 25.

EQUUSEARCH ATTORNEY: BAEZ MOTION IS A WASTE OF TIME

A new motion filed Wednesday by attorneys for Texas EquuSearch calls a recent request by Casey's defense team a waste of time.

Attorney Mark Nejame says a motion claiming the organization let reporters see paperwork regarding the search for Caylee Anthony is inappropriate and inaccurate.

READ: Baez Motion | Response To Motion | Objection

Nejame says Texas EquuSearch hasn't released names of volunteers or search information that has not previously been shared with the defense.

JUROR SURVEYS CALL CASEY'S ATTORNEY "RAT," "JERK" "An ambulance chaser and a rat," is how one potential juror described Jose Baez in court. Eyewitness News obtained juror surveys from other cases Baez, Casey Anthony's attorney, has defended.

JUROR SURVEYS: December 2008 Trial | November 2009 Trial BILL SHEAFFER: Analysis Of What Surveys Mean VIDEO REPORT: Juror Surveys Criticize Baez

Many were critical of Baez's work, so WFTV reporter Kathi Belich asked WFTV's legal expert whether Baez's image might hurt Casey's case in court.

There were a lot of negative descriptions of Casey's defense attorney, Jose Baez, when he questioned potential jurors in an Osceola County case he was defending in December 2008, just four days after Caylee's remains were found.

Baez was described as an "ambulance chaser and rat," "a jerk" who "should find another line of business," "not a good lawyer" who is "full of himself" and "is out to become famous." Baez apparently was worried there was fallout over defending Casey and the answers he got proved there was.

"It's called damage control. What are we going to do to limit the damage to my current clients, my future clients and, ultimately, the damage to Casey Anthony," WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said Friday (watch full interview).

Sheaffer says the potential jurors likely were focusing their anger on Baez after hearing days earlier how Caylee was found dead, with duct tape over her mouth, tossed in the woods in a trash bag.

"The community's emotions were raw," Sheaffer said.

Sometimes, time softens those raw edges. In fact, the negative comments about Baez dropped in his questionnaire for a case a year later, from 13 to two.

Only four people of the 80 questioned had something good to say about Baez, like he's "working hard to win."

About 30 people said they had no opinion of Baez, though most of them at least knew of him.

"You may well find out they do have an opinion and they have an agenda," Sheaffer said.

One potential Osceola County juror, just three months ago, explained what he knew about Casey's case with one word, "guilty."

A little less than half the people questioned in both cases said they did not know a lot about Casey's case. While the surveys are not scientific, it could mean that if her trial doesn't happen for another year and a half, they'll at least try to find a jury in Orlando.

Previous Stories: February 15, 2010: Attorney Leaving Casey's Defense Team February 12, 2010: Casey's Defense Wants Private Meeting Denied February 5, 2010: Juror Surveys Call Casey's Attorney "Rat," "Jerk" February 4, 2010: Why Does Casey's Trial Keep Getting Delayed? February 4, 2010: Casey Case Prosecutors Want To Withhold Info February 2, 2010: Casey Anthony's Defense Misses Deadline January 26, 2010: Baez: No Plea Deal In Casey's Murder Case January 26, 2010: Casey: "I Just Want To Let Everyone Know I'm Sorry" January 22, 2010: Casey's Defense Wants Focus To Stay On Kronk January 20, 2010: Casey Defense May Bypass Prosecutors On Plea Deal January 20, 2010: EXCLUSIVE: Casey To Be Offered Deal In Fraud Case January 19, 2010: Check Fraud Trial Postponed In Casey Case January 18, 2010: Casey Anthony's Status Hearing Delayed January 7, 2010: Casey's Attorney: "I'm Scared For My Client" January 7, 2010: Casey's Ex, Jesse Grund, Objects To Motion

0